In CR's review of 'Goeachead', the debut CD by Alias, our reviewer suggested the team were the 'Most Improved Band Of The Year'. We gave the band's leader Tim Simpkins the 40 question grilling.
1. What is your favourite book other than the
"Wainwright's Walking series - pictorial guides to the Lake District."
2. What are your biggest musical influences?
"Really wide - The Levellers, Radiohead, U2, James, Bobby Coates (folk legend!), Soul Coughing, James Taylor Quartet, Orbital, Jimi Hendrix."
3. Whats your favourite TV show?
"All the band love Jools Holland & The X Files!"
4. What was the best thing that happened when recording your
"Fried breakfast every morning at the Sportsman cafe in Canterbury."
5. Where did you get your album title?
"It comes from our German producer Jez Goad who each time we recorded something would say 'Go ahead' with a German lilt."
6. What is the most significant song?
"What's Gone Wrong'. It's the first song on the album, has a catchy hookline and catches the age that we live in."
7. Could you describe the album musically?
"It draws from our wide influences so if s a fusion of various styles."
8. What is the first single and album that you
"Single: Musical Youth's 'Pass The Duchie'. Album: Something by Steve Camp, can't remember what it was called."
"Had many other names (eg, Fishpaste Sandwiches and Johnny's Wet Trousers!) so 'otherwise known as' seemed logical."
10. What advice would you like to give John Major?
11. Tony Blair?
"Find your own principles!"
12. What's the best thing about being a
"Having friends around who you can share with."
13. What's the worst thing about being a
"Having to get on with people and having to forgive them."
14. Why were you riding in a balloon recently?
"So you found out about that! I'm a primary school teacher and one of my governors offered me the chance so I took it."