Their debut CD 'Forget Me Not' is just about to land in the shops so Cross Rhythms took the opportunity to throw a multitude of questions at Aylesbury techno rock team AS IF...
1. Who are the members of As If...?
"Phillip Goss - vocals, guitars, keyboards; Phil Heard - drums; Steve Rothwell - bass."
2. How did you get such a weird name?
"That's bass players for you."
3. What are the origins of the band?
"...and then there were three (to cut a long story short)."
4. What musical pigeon-hole would you say the band fit
"Experimental techno-rock. PS, we don't keep pigeons."
5. How did you land recording contract?
"Sent a tape to Rob Hillman (Spirit Records) - he came to see us, heard us, liked us, and signed us."
6. What's the best thing about your album?
"We think it's the best thing we've done so far, we really felt God's presence when recording it - it's full of life, energy and diversity."
7. What's the worst thing about your album?
"A lot of late nights mixing."
8. Tell us about a couple of the songs.
"'Psalmple' - was recorded as it was written, in a day, inspired by Psalm 51, it's very fresh 'Nursery Crime' - paraphrased nursery rhymes reflecting on the tragedy of hereditary drug abuse."
9. Were they all written by the band?
"Written by Philip (Goss) and arranged by the band together."
10. Who have been your biggest influences?
"U2, Dance Music, Sunscreem, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Vaughan Williams."
11. What's the worst thing that has ever happened to
12. Would you describe yourselves as a ministry band or
"Bit of both, really."
13. What's your favourite pastime?
"Watching Mike Leigh films (ie, Nuts In May) and drinking tea."
14. What's your favourite food?
"Baked beans and curry!"